Year 7 English
In Year 7 English, you read, view and listen to a variety of texts and learn to respond analytically and creatively. Speaking activities are integrated into each Module.
In Semester 1, you will develop your writing skills in the genres of poetry and autobiography. The main text for study is the film, Paper Planes.
In Semester 2, you will explore the novel Fog a Dox and a trio of short films. There will be an emphasis on learning to use evidence from these texts to support your responses. Your writing activities will include: voiceover, personal letter, script and presenting an opinion.
What do you do?
You will complete activities including:
- Read and respond to a variety of texts
- Reflect on your own experience
- Create your own multi-modal texts (screencasts, podcasts, vodcasts, interactive timelines, graphic short fiction, comics)
- Express your opinions
- Listen and share with your classmates
- Learn about Indigenous cultures
- Develop your vocabulary and complete grammar activities
What skills do you develop?
Reading and viewing:
- reading for comprehension and meaning
- understanding of fictional and real world texts
- summarising texts
- making connections between texts and ideas
- connecting texts to personal experience.
Speaking and listening:
- reflecting on learning (using audio files)
- presenting book reviews (using video files)
- doing PowerPoint presentations
- presenting opinions and reflections for collaboration with classmates.
Writing and presenting:
- analysing films and books
- expressing responses creatively (written, audio, video forms)
- writing persuasively
- analysing persuasive strategies
- using grammar effectively
- proofreading and editing
- using rubrics to plan and self-assess
Semesters 1 & 2
You must have access to the internet to access this course. Work will be completed and submitted online weekly.
You also need a headset microphone or a computer with speakers and microphone in order to take part in online lessons and to complete spoken tasks.
Fog a Dox by Bruce Pascoe