Year 7 Civics and Citizenship
In this subject, you will learn about Australia’s system of government and the Australian Constitution. You will also explore the features of our democracy.
You will investigate Australia’s legal system, types of laws and the law-making process. Also, you will look at the issue of shared values, a diverse Australia and national identity. You will look into how you can be an active and informed citizen.
What do you do?
You will complete activities including:
- contributing to and participating in class discussions, answering questions on what you have learned
- writing in your individual blog where you can express your opinion on different topics
- viewing videos on different issues and developing a broad understanding of content learned.
There are also opportunities for you to challenge yourself with optional activities.
What skills do you develop?
In this course you will:
- look at the features of Australia’s system of government and the purpose of the constitution in Australia’s representative democracy
- analyse features of Australian democracy and the features that allow active participation
- explain how Australia’s legal system is based on the principle of justice and describe the types of law and how laws are made
- identify the importance of shared values, explain different points of view and explain the diverse nature of Australian society
- analyse issues about national identity in Australia and the factors that contribute to people’s sense of belonging
- identify ways students can be active and informed citizens, and take action, in different contexts.
Internet is needed to access this course. Work will be completed and submitted online weekly.
Meet Joanna Liakos
Year 8 and 10 Economics and Business teacher
Year 7 and 9 Civics and Citizenship teacher
I love working with a range of students who each have a unique story. I’m constantly inspired by my students who have different challenges, yet are willing to move forward and overcome them. I am passionate about the importance of good decision making and hope I can be significant in my students’ learning journey.