Year 11 Specialist Mathematics Unit 1 and 2
In Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2, you will study mathematics in depth. The course emphasis is on concepts, skills and processes related to mathematical structure, modelling, problem solving and reasoning. In addition, you will investigate a broad range of mathematical applications. You will also develop a sound background for further studies in mathematics and mathematics-related fields.
Who is it for?
This is a good subject to take if you love the challenge of developing your mathematics skills and knowledge to a high level. This subject provides an excellent pathway to complete mathematics at the units 3 and 4 level, which can then lead to studies at the tertiary level.
What do you do?
In Unit 1, you will cover the following topics:
- number systems and recursion
- geometry in the plane and proof
- algebra and structure
In Unit 2, you will cover the following topics:
- graphs of linear and non-linear relations
- simulation, sampling and sampling distributions
What skills do you need?
Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2 builds upon your knowledge from Year 10 Mathematics and knowledge gained during Mathematical Methods Units 1 and 2. It is advised you revise your Year 10 Mathematics skills and be prepared to further develop your Mathematical Methods Units 1 and 2 skills.
What skills do you develop?
You will develop the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding to prepare you for Specialist Mathematics Unit 3 and 4. This includes:
- apply mathematics to new contexts and discuss its applications
- problem solve, model and investigate mathematics.
Internet is needed to access this course. Aside from the end of unit test, all work is to be completed and submitted online weekly.
- For this study, you need access to a VCAA-approved CAS technology. VSV course notes are written using the TI-Nspire CAS and Casio ClassPad calculators, and Mathematica software. The textbook also contains instructions for TI-Nspire CAS and Casio ClassPad calculators. However, any of the listed VCAA-approved CAS technologies can be used.
- Further information on VCAA-approved CAS technologies is available on their website.
- If buying a new calculator, it is highly recommended to buy a TI-Nspire CX CAS.
- You are encouraged to contact your Mathematics teacher for advice before buying a calculator.
- Cambridge Senior Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2, Print/Interactive Text – Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- You have the option of either purchasing the textbook or the eBook.
- Please note: If purchasing this textbook second-hand, students must purchase the interactive reactivation code – Digital Senior Specialist Mathematics VCE 1 and 2 Interactive Text (Access Code) – Digital access only.
Things to think about
Watch the videos below to find out why you should study maths.
Things you can do now
To prepare for Specialist Maths Units 1 and 2, you are encouraged to revise your Year 10 Mathematics topics.
You can purchase the textbook and begin studying the topics.
Go to the VCAA website for more information about this subject.