Year 10 English
The Year 10 English course is designed around the concept of discovery. In this course, you will be discovering the world of the young adult through examining contemporary films and literature, classic novels, short stories, philosophical ideas and political ideology.
In Semester One, the focus is on your identity, place and heritage in Australian contemporary society. Australia’s past, present and future are examined through film, current issues, and fictional and creative texts. The novel for study this semester is Cloudwish by Fiona Wood.
You will complete a range of creative tasks including writing a short story, poem and making a short film. An important element of this semester is a module on Indigenous Australians, which includes a study of the film The Sapphires, and writing and presenting a speech on current Indigenous Australian issues.
Semester Two moves into the wider world where you will discover and learn about why Shakespeare, and other writers’ insight, and wisdom are still significant in the present. You will expand your worldviews about the past, present and future through reading classic fiction and non-fiction texts examining how power corrupts, as well as, reading personal adventures of discovery and challenge, short texts and excerpts about sport and explorations in space.
Futuristic worlds and dystopian societies are a feature as you consider the future of society as advances in technology and robotics are explored in films. In this semester, the texts for study are Macbeth by William Shakespeare and Animal Farm by George Orwell and a variety of films.
What do you do?
You will complete a variety of analytical, research and creative activities. This will include:
- imaginative and creative writing
- making a short film
- writing essays and recording a speech
- writing blog and forum responses on the course texts and current issues
- thinking challenges and self-reflection
- participating in online lessons
What skills do you develop?
The focus is on:
- improving your spelling, grammar and vocabulary
- learning about different types of writing
- learning, developing and improving your essay writing
- forming and writing your opinions on current issues
- reading and analysing fiction and non-fiction texts
- learning about persuasive writing and persuasive techniques
- taking control of your learning
Cloudwish, Fiona Wood
Macbeth: The Graphic Novel, plain text version, Classic Comics
Animal Farm, George Orwell
-Please buy your texts as early as possible.